Big Walnut Intermediate School (BWIS) Getting Ready for 5th and 6th Grade Students!
Our maintenance staff, custodians, and teachers have been working hard to make the former middle school building a welcoming space for our 5th and 6th grade students. Classrooms are being painted, floors are being waxed, and teachers are busy adding personality to their spaces in anticipation of the building’s debut as an intermediate building. Principal Steve Butler and Counselor Ric Cavicchia have been hard at work preparing schedules for students. We are very excited to offer the 5th and 6th grade students of our community an intermediate building structured just for their age group.
As we prepare to welcome students back on August 22, we would like to share these important news items for our intermediate students and their parents:
· Building Location: 105 Baughman Street, Sunbury, OH 43074
· Phone: 740.965.7800
· Student Hours: 9:10am - 4:00pm
· Academic Structure: Our intermediate school will operate as a hybrid of our elementary and middle schools. The 5th grade students will have two main teachers who will share students. Students will learn math, language arts, science, and social studies from these two teachers. In 6th grade, students will have four core teachers (one for each subject). All students will have a seven-period day, which will include their four core subjects, two periods of “specials” which will be structured similar to an elementary for both grade levels (i.e., A day = art, B day = music, etc.), and a lunch and recess. Additionally, we will offer instrumental music/band and incorporate opportunities for students to access the media center to check out books and learn technology skills.
· Teaching Staff: Our 5th and 6th grade teachers from last year will be moving from four different buildings to teach at the intermediate building. We are excited about having our 5th grade teachers all in one building so they can work together to share best practices. All core teachers will be teaching the same level as last year, which should help us make a smooth transition! In order to provide our students with specials, we are sharing staff between buildings. Teachers from Souders Elementary, the middle school, and the high school will be traveling to BWIS to teach art, music, and physical education. We will also have intervention specialists, aides, and tutors to work with students much as they do in our other buildings. A gifted teacher will be working with some gifted classes; while some students will be serviced with advanced classes (i.e. pre-algebra) as we have done in previous years. In addition to the teaching staff, a counselor will be on staff to assist with the unique needs of our early adolescents.
· School Age Child Care (SACC): We are pleased to announce that SACC will be offered at the intermediate school from 7:00 a.m. until school starts at 9:10, and from the end of school at 4:00 until 6:00 p.m. Click here for pricing information, it can also be found under forms/links. You must complete the attached form for registration. Please direct questions about the SACC program to Childcare Unlimited, the providers of our program, at 614.361.6990.
· Open House: Our teachers and staff will welcome students and parents on Monday, August 20 at 4:00 p.m.